In 1895, 76 years after being admitted to the Union, the
Alabama Legislature authorized the "crimson cross of St. Andrew on a field of white" in
the "Acts of Alabama" for the Alabama State Flag. Reminiscent of the Confederate battle
flag, the Alabama state flag was designated that the crimson bars must be six inched
broad and were to extend diagonally across the state flag.